Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Death to the Colorblind?

Photo by Duncan Harris

In my office there is a sticker given to me by my sister. The sticker is a red-green color blindness test: a field of green dots interspersed with orange and red dots.

Apparently, the orange and red dots spell out "Death to the colorblind."

I say "apparently" because I am unable to read the words, despite having been told repeatedly what they say. I have a form of red-green colorblindness and so cannot see these words in the same way that normal-sighted people see them.

I keep this sticker in my office as a constant reminder that not everyone sees the world the way I do. People are an amazing mix of personality types, heritage, experiences, values, and so on. Even my deepest convictions might not be shared by someone who sees the world through a different history and a different pair of eyes.

Leaders do well to remember the diversity of perspectives in the teams they lead and to ensure those voices are incorporated into decision-making. This doesn't mean always trying to satisfy every opinion. It does mean remaining humble enough to know that there is always something we don't know.

Thanks, sis.

David M. Dye

Subscribe today or join the discussion at: http://davidmdye.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @davidmdye
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-dye/b/a08/82
****
David shares twenty years experience teaching, coaching, leading, and managing in youth service, education advocacy, city governance, and faith-based nonprofits. He currently serves as Chief Operating Officer for Colorado UpLift and enjoys helping others discover and realize their own potential.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At July 21, 2011 at 11:44 AM , Blogger Justin said...

Nice object lesson.
Which sister gave this to you?

 
At July 22, 2011 at 7:45 AM , Blogger David M. Dye said...

@Justin

Thanks, Justin. That would be Mary.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home